Thank you for your interest in interning with HealthServe. Interns at HealthServe will engage face to face with the (often times invisible) migrant worker community in Singapore, gaining a deeper understand of their challenges, aspirations, and dreams. The intern will be exposed to all areas of HealthServe’s work – from our medical clinic to our casework to our dormitory outreach work. The work culture here is very flexible and everyone supports one another’s work – interns must be flexible and be willing to lend a helping hand wherever necessary.
Interns are accepted on a rolling basis so please apply early.
Core Responsibilities of the intern
- Attend to drop-in migrants and detail their WICA/non-WICA cases (training will be provided)
- Follow-up with cases as necessary. Follow-up may include accompanying migrants to the ICA, MOM, hospitals, and their employer’s offices.
- Assist in the operations of the Geylang/Desker Food Project, a daily subsidized meal program for injured and out-of-work migrant workers
- Assist with the MRT top-up program and emergency shelter, as needed
- Attend events and write briefs (may be as often as once a week)
- Take photos of events for the website and facebook
- Contribute to our weekly "Meet a Worker" blog
Other projects and events as needed
- Applicant must be 18 years of age or older at the start of the program
- Currently enrolled in an educational institution
- Able to commit to the working hours stated below
Time commitment required
Interns must commit to a minimum of 6 weeks, although applicants who can commit to 8 weeks or longer will be prioritized. Work hours are as follows:
Monday: 10am to 7pm
Tuesday: 10am to 7pm
Wednesday: 10am to 7pm (7-10pm optional)
Thursday: 10 am to 7pm (7-10pm optional)
Friday: 10:30am to 6pm
What we are looking for in an intern
- Passionate about the rights of migrant workers in Singapore, especially as it relates to healthcare
- A willing heart to assist in the office wherever necessary
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Flexible and able to go with the flow - the office can have extremely hectic and extremely slow moments
- Detail orientated
- Language skills (especially Tamil, Bengali, or Mandarin) a benefit, but not required
- Experience with photography, photoshop/design a plus
To apply, please submit the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Start and end dates
- Cover letter stating why you want to be part of the shadow program
Shortlisted candidates may be invited to interview.
*Please note that all internships are unpaid.